Take the right insurance document with you

Will you be traveling abroad soon? Make sure to take the right insurance document with you on your trip. For example the EHIC, which can be found on the back of your health insurance card. One of the documents described below enables you to prove that you are insured for medical costs when abroad. Which one you need depends on which country you are traveling to.

Which proof of insurance do you need?

There are 3 different kinds of insurance documents:

  • European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
  • treaty form 111
  • insurance statement

Below we will tell you more about the different proofs of insurance and the countries in which they are valid. We will also explain how to acquire them.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

  • The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) entitles you to urgent medical care in various countries.

    It looks the same everywhere Europe. The regulations of the country where you receive the health care determine the reimbursement. The advantage of the EHIC is that you usually do not have to advance any costs yourself.

    Your health insurance card is valid in the following countries:

    • Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus (Greek part), Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France (including French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Reunion and St. Martin), Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Italy, Croatia, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Northern Macedonia, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal (including the Azores and Madeira), Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, Spain (including the Canary Islands, Ceuta and Melilla), Czech Republic, Sweden and Switzerland
    • Australia (if you will be staying there for less than 1 year)
    • United Kingdom: for the time being, your EHIC will also be valid in the United Kingdom. As soon as more is known, we shall update the information on this page.
  • The EHIC can be found on the back of your insurance card. It is free and personal.

    If you have taken out a basic health-care plan with ONVZ for the first time, you will automatically receive the health insurance card from us free of charge.

    If you have lost your insurance card, never received it, or if it has expired, please contact our Service Centre via live chat or by calling 030 639 62 22.

  • You can find the expiry date of the EHIC on the back of your health insurance card.

    If you have a basic health-care plan with ONVZ, you will automatically receive a health insurance card. The EHIC is on the back of this card. It is valid for 5 years.

    Please note: if you use the ONVZ health insurance card while no longer insured with ONVZ, we will reclaim the costs from you afterwards.

Treaty form E111

  • The Netherlands has concluded agreements with a number of countries on the reimbursement of health-care costs.

    If you will be visiting one of the treaty countries listed below, you should take an E111 treaty form with you. With this form you are entitled to urgent care in the countries below and you will not be asked to advance the costs yourself.

    Treaty form 111 is valid in:

    • Bosnia and Herzegovina
    • Montenegro
    • Serbia
    • Tunisia
    • Turkey
  • You can request the treaty form via MijnONVZ. Follow the steps below to request the form:

    1. Log in to MijnONVZ
    2. Use the navigation menu. Go to 'My details' and choose 'Proof of insurance'. You will find this on top of the page.
    3. Choose 'Request proof of insurance'
    4. Fill in the form and click on ‘Apply for proof of insurance’

    Once you have completed the steps above, you will receive an email with your treaty form (pdf) attached within a few minutes.

    If you need more information about insurance certificates? Check out the follow page: Insurance documents | ONVZ

Insurance statement

  • The insurance statement states, in English, that you have health insurance in the Netherlands.

    You need an insurance statement for the following countries:

    • Cuba
    • Iran
    • Russia
    • Venezuela
    • Belarus
    • South Africa (if you will be staying for more than 90 days)
  • Via MijnONVZ.

    Request the form by contacting us via  live chat or by calling our Service Centre on 030 639 62 22. Please provide us with the following:

    • the name of the person(s) that need the form
    • for how long the form should be valid
    • the country you are traveling to

Good to know

  • the EHIC is not valid if you are going abroad to undergo treatment
  • the EHIC is personal and free of charge. Children have their own EHIC
  • you cannot use your ONVZ EHIC if you have cancelled the ONVZ basic health-care plan or if it has been temporarily suspended
  • is the information on your health insurance card incorrect? Please let us by contacting our Service Center via live chat or by calling 030 639 62 22.

Questions? We are here whenever you need us